Yahoo may be a former big Internet player, but there still about 110 million people making use of the Mail service — including me, but I haven’t checked my inbox in over a year –, and today the company shows that wants to be part of the world once again by refreshing the Yahoo Mail service in all major platforms: Yahoo Mail web, Android and iOS, as well as its first version of a Windows 8 app. The announcement arrived by the new Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer in a new article released today. She explained that the company is focus on improving the service by making it more intuitive and minimizing elements that can distract the experience. Users can expect to see the new Yahoo Mail web, in a few days, while clients for Android, iOS and the new Windows 8 app are available now.
At first look the Yahoo Mail app is really easy to set up — search, install, launch and sign-in with your email credentials and you’re good to go –. Over the Mail app from Microsoft, I like that you can mark emails as important or unread and new old-emails load pretty quick as you scroll down. Additionally you can select multiple emails pretty easily without having to use combinations of keys (e.g., Ctrl+Click or Shift+Click), and something still missing from the Windows 8 Mail, you will also see emails arriving at the different folders (filters) other than the inbox.
Things I noticed: Users cannot have multiple clients connecting to the same Yahoo account. For example, if you were using the Mail app to check your Yahoo emails, after setting the app, you’ll see a “Check settings” message in the Windows 8 Mail. Plus you cannot pin folders to the Start screen, and the purple toolbar with the brand atop takes a big chunk of space real state, which I think is unnecessary, but overall the app works great.
- Send and receive messages
- Share photos, videos, and documents
- Multi-select messages to organize your inbox faster
- Mark messages as favorites so you can keep track of important messages
- Search across all email folders
- Auto-complete email addresses
- Pinch to zoom in on a message to get a closer look
- Stay on top of your new messages with notifications
- See new messages arrive right from the Windows 8 Start screen
- Quickly scan messages in your inbox with continuous scroll
- Category: Productivity
- Languages: English (USA) and many more
- Age Rating: 16+
- Permission: This app can access the Internet
- Price: Free
- Publisher: Yahoo! Inc
- Download: Get it from the Windows Store
- x86/x64 (Windows 8)
- ARM (Windows RT)