Although Microsoft has stopped production of its Surface 3, it doesn’t mean that support also stops. The company is now rolling out the August 2016 firmware update to Surface 3 devices with a number of improvements on battery life, active pen, sensors, and cameras.
The update shows up as “System Firmware Update – 8/8/2016”, and you can see below all the new changes.
- Surface System Aggregator Firmware (v1.0.52500.0) improve proximity sensor for mobile broadband and Wi-Fi connections.
- Surface Platform Power Driver (v188.8.131.52) improves battery charging.
- Surface UEFI (v1.51116.178.0) adds commercial UEFI features and improves stability of the on-screen keyboard.
- Surface Pen Settings (v12.0.303.1) improves the stability of the pen settings and prepares for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
- Microsoft Camera Front and Rear (v21.10586.6053.549) improves the stability of the camera.
- Intel AVStream Camera (v21.10586.6053.549) improves the stability of the camera.
- Intel Imaging Signal Processor 2401 (v21.10586.6053.549) improves the stability of the camera.
- Intel HD Graphics (v184.108.40.20624) improves system performance in some applications.
The Surface 3 August 2016 firmware is available immediately. The new update will download and install automatically, but you can always force the update from Settings > Update & security > Windows Update and clicking the Check for updates button.