Microsoft launches MS-DOS for Windows Phones. After years struggling on the mobile market the software giant is going back to basics and bringing its first productivity tool to mobile devices.
It’s called MS-DOS Mobile and Microsoft hopes the familiar black and white interface from DOS will help users be more productive on their phones.
The operating system was built specifically for Lumia devices and it features the classic C:/> prompt and the ability to type a wide range of commands, and launch apps. Touch capability is also supported to make it even easier to get around MS-DOS.
Well… Not quite so, it’s all part of April Fool’s Day, but MS-DOS is a real app that Microsoft has released as preview to the Windows Phone Store and anyone can download for free.
Similar to MS-DOS that ships with Windows, you can navigate around by using the good old DIR command to list apps and use CD to enter directories.
Inside of MS-DOS Mobile you can use the following features:
- COLOR: change the DOS appearance with customisable background and foreground colors
- CLS: Clears Screen
- DATE: Queries current date
- ECHO: Displays a custom message on the screen
- TIME: Queries current time
- TYPE: Prints out the contents of a file
- VER: Queries current DOS version
The following are phone-specific commands:
- CAMERA.EXE: Opens the camera app
- INTERNET / IE [url]: launches web browser. URL can be set as a parameter
- EMAIL [address]: launches email client for you to type and send your message
- MAP [latitude] [longitude] / [search terms]: launches map app with location or search results
- MARKET: launches app marketplace
- PHONE [number]/SELECT: launches phone with number. Use SELECT to open card in contacts
- SEARCH/CORTANA [search terms]: Launches search/Cortana for the search terms
Microsoft also thought on including a few easter eggs with the MS-DOS app:
- ASCII/CGA camera: launches a camera with CGA and ASCII modes
- WIN: Launches Windows 3.1
- Rock Paper Scissors: Microsoft’s DOS version of this game can be launched by navigating to C:\GAMES\RPS\RPS.EXE. If you score more than 20 wins, have more wins than the AI and select the secret combination, a secret mode is unlocked in the game.
Did you spot the secret phrase in the video to unlock the secret mode?