Microsoft has just released a preview of Windows 10 (build 10061) and like the previous build, the new bits are available for download via the Fast ring of updates. While build 10061 brings new features, improvements, and various fixes, getting the new release through the fast lane, it means that there are more bugs and fewer workarounds.
Today, Microsoft is letting Windows Insiders download Windows 10 build 10061, but it also warns users that there are a number of known issues that everyone should be aware of.
The following list has all the known issues of build 10061 and a few workarounds:
- There is a bug with this build in which Win32 (desktop) apps won’t launch from the Start menu. The workaround is to use search to find and launch these apps and pin them to your taskbar for quick access.
- The Windows Store Beta (grey tile) and Project Spartan get unpinned after upgrading. You can re-pin them to your Taskbar from All apps on your Start menu.
- The version of the Mail and Calendar apps included in this build (17.4008.42281.0) have a known issue that causes every typed letter to appear twice — which it would be funny if it wasn’t so irritating. We have fixed this issue with updated versions of the apps (17.4016.42291.0) available in the Windows Store Beta (grey tile). If you don’t open the Mail and Calendar apps within the first 15 minutes after logging in to your device for the first time after upgrading and your device is connected to the Internet, the apps should update automatically. You can also go into the Store Beta and check for updates manually at any time.
- Cortana will highlight things it will be able to help users with, but some of these features are not yet implemented and we are working to deliver them soon.
- There is a known issue where you might see a black screen with only your mouse cursor during login/logout. We have a fix for this coming via WU.
- Downloading music in the Xbox Music and Music Preview apps is currently broken. We also have a fix for this coming via WU.
- When you minimize an app playing audio, it may stop playing once its minimized.
- In Project Spartan, no selection highlight appears when selecting text in the address box. You can right click in the address box to cut/copy/paste and it will work as expected. We also have a fix for this coming via WU.
- Magnifier does not work when you put it into docked mode. We will also have a fix for this coming via WU.
While the software giant is including a number of changes in the new build of Windows 10, we can also see that there are a lot things that aren’t working correctly. So, it’s not recommended to use this release as your primary operating system.
It’s also worth noting that Microsoft won’t be releasing the ISO files for this version of Windows 10. ISO files are only available for builds release to the Slow ring.