What an exciting week for Windows users, on October 18th, Microsoft finally released the awaited Windows 8.1 update. If you still don’t know what you’re missing I recommend you to read my review. Unexpectedly, short after the release, on October 19th, the software giant had to removed Windows RT 8.1 due to unknown issues and we’re still waiting for a resolution.
This week Microsoft also announced that the only way to update to Windows 8.1 is via the Windows Store and that it won’t be making available the ISO file to do a clean install or for recovery purposes. However as it turns out there is a workaround that allows users to download the Windows 8.1 ISO file from Microsoft servers by using the Windows 8 retail key, check out the article to know how to do this and how to make sure you can activate the operating system properly.
Also I recently published several Windows guides to help users fix any issues along the way installing Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 on a Surface tablet. Moreover, I created a list with important tips you should do after installing the Microsoft updated OS, such as how to reclaim disk space, getting an antivirus, and keeping the system updated.
There was a lot covered this week, so make sure you go through all the content you missed. Like always, if you’re having trouble with your computer, don’t hesitate to ask in the comments or send me an email.
Welcome to Pureinfotech: Tech Recap edition. Each weekend I will bring you a compilation of articles of the week, including how-to guides, features, tech news, and more. This is simply a list with a brief description of pieces you might have missed or you might just want to read again.
- Stuck installing Windows 8.1 from ISO downloaded with Windows 8 key
- How to download Windows 8.1 ISO file using Windows 8 product key
- How to repair Surface with Windows RT 8.1 update failure (step-by-step)
- Windows RT 8.1 update removed from Windows Store due to problems
- How to fix Refresh and Remove recovery features after Windows 8.1 upgrade
- How to upgrade to Windows 8.1 via the Windows Store (step-by-step)
- How to fix common Windows 8.1 upgrade errors
- Microsoft won’t deliver Windows 8.1 ISO file for download to the public
- 6 Tips you shouldn’t overlook after upgrading to Windows 8.1
- Windows 8.1 review, a fresh start
- How to download Windows 8.1 ‘General Availability’ in your PC (update)
- Windows 8 support ends in two years, countdown starts with Windows 8.1
To view all this week’s articles, click here.
Use this link to view all my Windows 8.1 coverage!
Please support my work and use this link for your Amazon purchases or use the PayPal button at the bottom of this page to donate. Thank you!
I’m always looking into ways to improve, but if you have any suggestions, feedback, or something you would like to learn, leave me a comment.
Thank you for reading, see you next time!