Windows Phone 8.1 update is now available for download. Although the update isn’t finish and it’s meant for software developers, Microsoft is also allowing regular customers to download the latest major Windows Phone update on their phones.
This isn’t an ordinary update, this is a major update for Windows phones as it includes brand new features such as Cortana, the Siri’s killer digital assistant, new notification center, a skinned Tiles for the Start scree, and many more enhancements.
For those non-developers who like to test Windows Phone 8.1 update need to visit the Windows Phone App Studio, sign-in with your Microsoft Account, and create a project. Then simply download the “Preview for Developers” app from the Windows Phone Store, which is the method that will allow you to download the update. Finally sign-in to the app with your Microsoft Account to enable your phone to detect the Windows Phone 8.1 update from the phone update settings.
As with any pre-release software there are some limitations you should know about:
1. Windows Phone 8.1 update preview will void your device warranty until your carrier makes the update officially available.
2. The preview only updates the operating system, no settings or any other app in the device.
3. Once the preview update is installed you cannot roll back to Windows Phone 8. This means that if you find any bug, you’ll have to live with it until your carrier officially releases the Windows Phone 8.1 update.
4. Windows Phone 8.1 update is available worldwide, but the U.S. will only get Cortana digital assistant. However Microsoft is already working with to bring Cortana to the UK and China before the end of the year — more countries will be added in 2015.
5. If you live outside the U.S. there is a workaround to use Cortana: simply set your phone to the U.S. region. But keep in mind that you’ll lose a few local functionality.
If you’re OK with the warning, go ahead and download Windows Phone 8.1 update now.
Source The Verge