As part of the Patch Tuesday roll out, Microsoft has released on Thursday firmware updates for all Pro versions of Surface, including Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 2, and Surface Pro. The biggest set of updates is for the Surface Pro 3, which gets improvements for UEFI, graphics, wireless controller updates and even the Surface Home button gets a driver update.
The “System Firmware Update – 1/15/2015” brings the following updates for the Surface Pro devices:
Surface Pro 3:
- Surface Pro UEFI update: (v3.11.450.0) adds support for updated HD Graphics Family driver.
- HD Graphics Family driver update: (v10.18.14.4029) enhances display stability and performance, improves user experience when using Miracast adapters. Improves compatibility with DisplayPort monitors and daisy chaining.
- Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update: (v15.68.3073.151) addresses connectivity issues while Hyper-V is enabled. Adds an advanced feature to control the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band preference.
- Surface Home Button driver update: (v2.0.1179.0) ensures compatibility with the Surface Hub app.
- Microsoft Docking Station Audio Device driver update: (v18.104.22.168) improves the user experience while using the Surface Pro 3 Docking Station so that sound is available when a speaker is not connected to the docking station.
Surface Pro 2:
- Surface Pro UEFI update: (v2.05.0150) improves the PXE boot experience with the 1 gigabit Surface Ethernet Adapter and further enhances the system security.
HD Graphics Family driver update: (v10.18.14.4029) enhances display stability and performance, improves user experience when using Miracast adapters. Improves compatibility with DisplayPort monitors and daisy chaining.
- Surface Pro UEFI update: (v1.7.50) further enhances the system security.
Like always, Microsoft is rolling out the updates gradually, but you can download the firmware update manually by going to PC settings, Update and recovery, tap Check now, and then proceed with the installation.
If you are having any issues, remember that Surface now has a support hashtag on Twitter: @SurfaceSupport, that you can ask any question.
For January 2015, Microsoft will not be releasing a new firmware update for Surface RT or Surface 2.