For all the fans out there, Mozilla is delivering as promised, after the release of Firefox 4, a faster release cycle for its wide used web browser. Now the final stable version of Firefox 5 is available for download from Mozilla’s FTP server, the official release is scheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday June 21st. This latest release come just after days of the Firefox 5 RC (Release Candidate) and after 12 weeks of the last major update. Firefox 5 unlike version 4 had fewer beta releases and is right on schedule.
In this new version of Firefox 5 do not expect a complete redesigned user interface, it is going to be almost identical to Firefox 4, instead this version includes better performance, stability and improvements.
Some of the features included in Firefox 5 are:
- “Do Not Track” preference now it is easier to find by the user.
- Improved standards support for HTML5, XHR, MathML, SMIL, and canvas.
- Support for CSS transitions has been added.
- Improvements to spell checking for various languages.
- Performance improvements for background tabs.
- Improvements to Linux desktop environment integration.
- WebGL fixes: a fix for cross-domain textures and a fix to address the memory stealing issue.
The download is less than 14MB in size, the upgrade from Firefox 4 to Firefox 5 (just took a few seconds), also there is a noticeable increase on speed on Firefox start-up time and web pages load faster. One thing to notice is that at this point many Add-ons will not be compatible with Firefox 5.
If you cannot wait until the official launch, you can download Firefox 5 now from Mozilla’s FTP server and for your convenience you can use the direct download links below!
Be the first and let us know your thoughts about this latest release in the comments below.