Windows 10 20H2, October 2020 Update, is the next major update releasing on October 20, 2020. However, similar to the 2019 release schedule, this version is a smaller update that will be offered as a cumulative update through Windows Update. (Similar to a service pack.)
Although the October 2020 Update includes new changes, you won’t be seeing new big features.
Also, starting with this release, Microsoft will no longer use version numbers, such as 2009 or 2010. Instead, it’ll be called “Windows 10 version 20H2” to indicate when the update will release. For example, H1 indicates the first half of year, and H2 means that the feature update will release the second half of the year.
Windows 10 20H2 update related content, news, release date, steps to upgrade, new features and changes can be found here.
Windows 10 20H2 release date
- OS: Windows 10
- Official name: October 2020 Update
- Version: 20H2
- Build: 19042
- Feature update number: 10
- Release Preview release date: September 18, 2020
- Release Preview build: build 19042.508
- Initial release date: October 20, 2020
- Automatic update older PCs: TBD
- Fully available: TBD
- Start of service: October 20, 2020
- End of service: May 5, 2022
- End of service business: May 9, 2023
- Delayed: No
- Price: Free
Windows 10 20H2 system requirements
- Processor: 1GHz or faster CPU or System on a Chip (SoC)
- Memory: 1GB for 32-bit or 2GB for 64-bit
- Hard drive space: 32GB clean install or new PC (16 GB for 32-bit or 20 GB for 64-bit existing installation).
- Graphics: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
- Display: 800×600
Windows 10 20H2 resources
- New features and changes
- Upgrade process
- Clean install process
- Uninstall process
- Fix Wi-Fi problems
- Block upgrade
- Avoid upgrade problems
Windows 10 20H2 release information
- How big is the download of Windows 10 20H2? If you’re upgrading from version 2004, the package is only a few megabytes. The Windows 10 20H2 ISO file is 4.9GB, and around the same using the Media Creation Tool or Update Assistant.
- Does the Windows 10 20H2 requires reinstallation? No, if you’re updating from version 2004, reinstallation isn’t required. If you use the Media Creation Tool, Update Assistant, or you’re upgrading an older release, then full reinstallation is required.
- How can I download Windows 10 20H2? When it becomes available, you’ll be able to download October 2020 Update from Windows Update as a quick update on version 2004, or full feature update install for older versions. Microsoft will also be making available the Media Creation Tool, Update Assistant, and ISO file to upgrade or perform a clean installation.
- What’s new on Windows 10 20H2? The update is mainly a service pack to complement version 2004, but it’ll introduce a new Start menu design, smarter taskbar, refresh rate setting and other tweaks for Settings, and Microsoft Edge will now show up in the app switcher.
- Will Windows 10 20H2 install automatically? No, once the update is ready, you’ll get a notification in the Windows Update settings to manually upgrade to version 20H2. However, if you have an release nearing the end of service, then yes, the update will eventually download automatically.
- How long does it take to install Windows 10 20H2? If you’re updating version 2004, the process will take a few minutes. If you’re upgrading an older version, the entire process will take around one hour.
- Is it safe to install Windows 10 20H2? Yes, according to Microsoft, it’s safe to install version 20H2. However, there’s always a chance of problems, so the company is rolling out the update slowly and offering it only to PCs known to have a good experience.
- Are there problems with Windows 10 20H2? Yes, but they’re minor issues related to audio at this time.