In-depth look at Windows 10 Anniversary Update preview build 14316, including Cortana and Microsoft Edge new features, Settings app improvements, new Universal Windows Platform apps and features you may not know were included.
Microsoft recently announced the availability of the Windows 10 build 14316 to the Fast ring of updates. This is a massive release that includes a significant amount of features and changes coming later this summer with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
However, while the company announced many of the features included on the preview, build 14316 is packed with a number of other changes, such as a new Mobile hotspot feature to allow you to share your internet connection with other computers, and many small tweaks.
The new video uploaded to the Pureinfotech YouTube channel highlights all the changes and features you’ll find on Windows 10 build 14316, including Bash on Ubuntu on Windows, new Microsoft Edge extensions, Cortana new features, new Dark theme personalization option, and much more.
Here’s the breakdown of features on build 14316 for Windows 10:
- Settings button now appears in the navigation pane.
- New Language options.
- Cortana syncs across devices, and now you can get low battery notifications from your phone on your PC. Cortana can find and ring your phone wherever it might be. Maps search are shared across devices.
- Cortana can now automatically download speech language as required.
- New Reminder suggestions option appears on Cortana’s Notebook.
- There is a new search box on the homepage.
- Now you can set priority and number of notifications you want to see on Action Center per-app.
- Battery saver gets renamed to Battery.
- “Battery usage by app” page has been updated, and now you can better manage battery usage per app. Windows 10 will even shut down the app temporary to preserve battery life. If there is high battery drain in your system and app will stay shut down until re-open.
- New Mobile hotspot appears in Network & internet.
- Personalization gets Dark theme and Show color on title bar options.
- Windows Update settings get additional tweaks including two new features: Change active hours and Restart options.
- Activation has a new Registration
- For Developers section gets new features, including Enable Device Portal, Windows Explorer Settings, Remote Desktop Settings, and PowerShell Settings.
- New extensions: Pinterest and OneNote Clipper.
- You can drag and drop folders to upload content to OneDrive, Google Drive, and Dropbox.
- You can import bookmarks from Firefox, in addition to Chrome and IE.
- Microsoft Edge show warning for in-progress downloads when closing the browser.
- You can now set default download folder on the Edge settings.
- Microsoft is now building a feature to block Adobe Flash content that is not part of the primary content on a website.
- Tab shows new animation when loading a webpage.
Bash on Ubuntu on Windows
- You can now run Linux commands natively on Windows 10, but you need to install the new feature manually.
Universal Windows Platform apps
- Connect app allows you to bring Continuum for phones to your PC without dock or Miracast.
- Skype UWP Preview makes a first landing on build 14316.
- Messaging app has the Messaging everywhere (BETA) section that allows you to send and receive text from your phone on your PC. However, the feature is not yet available for use.
- Users can now comment on the Feedback Hub, and you’ll find Microsoft employees comments as well.
- Test Takers app appears on this build, but it doesn’t work.
- Right-click to Show this window on all desktops.
- New upgrade UI instead of the black screen.
- New Emoji
What do you think about windows 10 build 14316 new features and improvements? Let us know in the comments below.