- Windows 11 build 25120 rolls out with new changes in the Dev Channel.
- The preview introduces a desktop search feature.
- It also brings a bunch of changes, improvements, and fixes.
Microsoft is now rolling out the Windows 11 build 25120 for devices enrolled in the Dev Channel of the Windows Insider Program. This minor update only includes one new feature and several fixes that are expected to arrive during the second half of 2023.
According to the official changes, build 25120 for Windows 11 introduces a new search box widget on the desktop that allows you quickly search the web. Also, this flight introduces fixes for Suggested Actions, Settings, and Task Manager.
Furthermore, the company is also making available for download the official ISO file of build 25120 to perform an in-place upgrade or clean installation of this version.
See also this hands-on video highlighting the new features for this particular build on the Pureinfotech YouTube channel.
Desktop search widget
Starting with build 25120, Windows 11 introduces a new search widget as an experimental feature that allows you to perform a web search quickly.
The widget is a floating search box that appears centered at the top of the screen. When you type a query and press Enter, the result will show in Microsoft Edge using Bing search.
The only caveat is that the feature doesn’t respect the default browser or search engine preferences.
The feature is exposed by default, but you can disable it by right-clicking the desktop, selecting the “Show more options,” and choosing the “Show search” option.
Fixes and improvements
These are the fixes and improvements rolling out with build 25120 for Windows 11:
- Suggested actions should appear for more date and time formats now.
- Addressed some issues with certain formats when copying date and/or time.
- Improved overall performance and reliability of the feature.
- Fixed an issue that could crash Settings when opening and looking at the battery usage graph.
- Improved performance of displaying Wi-Fi networks after enabling Wi-Fi from the Wi-Fi section of Quick Settings.
- Task Manager
- Addressed an issue leading to some unreadable text on the Performance page when a contrasting theme was enabled.
- Fixed an issue that could cause Windows Update to stall and roll back updates for WSA users.
- Did some work to address a stutter in the progress wheel animation when upgrading to a new build.
In addition to these fixes, Microsoft is also pointing out a couple of known issues using Easy Anti-Cheat and Live Captions that you should be aware of before installing this flight.
Install Windows 11 build 25120
If you want to download and install the Windows 11 build 25120, you need to enroll your device in the Dev Channel using the “Windows Insider Program” settings from the “Update & Security” section.
Once you enroll the computer in the program, you can download build 25120 from the “Windows Update” settings by clicking the Check for Updates button. However, you will need a device that meets the minimum system requirements to receive the update if you are new to the Windows Insider Program.
Update May 20, 2022: Microsoft is now rolling out build 25120.1010 as update KB5015039. However, the update does not include anything new, this is only another test for the update mechanism service.