- Windows 11 build 25217 brings support for third-party Widgets.
- Introduces cloud suggestions in Simplified Chinese IME.
- The flight also ships updates Microsoft Store and Chat experience.
Microsoft is now rolling out the Windows 11 build 25217 for computers enrolled in the Dev Channel of the Windows Insider Program. The update is a minor release but brings new features, improvements, and known issues.
Build 25217 for Windows 11, according to the official changes, opens up the Widgets feature to developers to build third-party widgets with the new WinAppSDK 1.2 preview. This flight also introduces typing cloud suggestions for popular words in Simplified Chinese faster using the touch keyboard.
Windows 11 build 25217 changes
Here are all the new features and improvements for the latest release of Windows 11 in the Dev Channel:
Starting with build 25271, Microsoft brings support for developers to write third-party widgets for the Widgets feature using the WinAppSDK version 1.2.
According to the company, developers with packaged Win32 apps can create and test third-party widgets locally if the machine is running in Developer Mode. For more information, check these resources, Widget Design Docs and Widget Dev Docs.
Currently, there are some limitations, including widgets can only be tested locally until the WinAppSDK 1.2 becomes generally available, at which point developers will be able to ship their widgets from the Microsoft Store.
Also, Microsoft plans to support third-party PWA widgets, but the support will be available in the future once the support comes to Microsoft Edge.
Cloud typing suggestions for Simplified Chinese IME
Microsoft also introduces search and cloud suggestions in this update to allow users to “type fresh, hot, and popular words in Simplified Chinese.”
According to the company, “cloud suggestion adds the most relevant word from Bing to the IME candidate window.” Furthermore, Windows 11 updates the logic to provide better suggestions.
As part of the search suggestions, the new integration “gives you additional suggestions similar to what you see on the Bing search page. You can either insert a suggestion as text or search it directly in Bing.”
Finally, to disable these features, you can click the chevron button at the right end of the IME candidate window to control the options.
Microsoft Teams (consumer version)
In this release, the software giant is also shipping an updated version of the video calling experience for the Chat from Microsoft Teams feature. Starting with this release, when you open the Chat, it’ll start with a preview of your own video and the different ways to contact someone.
Microsoft Store app
Windows 11 build 25217 also comes with the Microsoft Store version 22209, which clearly shows the game is available with Game Pass. In addition, the company “enhanced the library experience with simplified options and improved performance.”
Furthermore, in this release, Windows 11 gets the new Tamil Anjal keyboard for the Tamil language. Also, it disables the new touch keyboard setting available back in build 25188. However, the company plans to bring the feature back in the future after further refinement of the design.
Fixes and improvements
In addition, this flight includes various fixes for File Explorer, Taskbar, Settings, Task Manager, and more.
Taskbar for tablets
- Fixed the issue causing the taskbar sometimes to collapse when it should be expanded if there are no running windows on the desktop.
- Fixed an issue that would occur when using the left or right edge gestures resulting in the Widgets or Notification Center (respectively) overlapping with or looking truncated by the taskbar.
- Fixed an issue causing the tablet-optimized taskbar to crash explorer.exe while switching apps.
- Fixed an issue causing the tablet-optimized taskbar to crash explorer.exe if you entered the overflow flyout.
- Fixed an issue where the close button for window preview thumbnails in Task View was drawing slightly outside the bounds of the thumbnail.
- Fixed an issue where you might see the entire window flash black for a frame while rendering when switching between windows in recent builds.
- Fixed an issue causing Miracast video quality to be very slow and stuttering on recent flights despite having a solid internet connection.
- Fixed an issue so Quick Settings items can now rearrange with touch again.
- Fixed an issue under Network and Internet > Advanced Network Settings, where certain networks displayed the wrong link speed.
This release also has some known issues with the Tablet-optimized Taskbar, Widgets, and more.
Install build 25217
If you want to download and install the Windows 11 build 25217, enroll your device in the Dev Channel using the “Windows Insider Program” settings from the “Windows Update” section.
Once you enroll the computer in the program, you can download build 25217 from the “Windows Update” settings by clicking the Check for Updates button. However, you will need a device that meets the minimum system requirements to receive the update if you are new to the Windows Insider Program.
Update October 10, 2022: Microsoft is now rolling out build 25217.1010 as update KB5019765. However, the update does not include anything new, this is only another test for the update mechanism service.