- Windows 11 build 25236 is now rolling out in the Dev Channel.
- The update introduces tips to help people use Search.
- The flight also has a lot of fixes and introduces an updated version of the Microsoft Store.
Microsoft is now rolling out Windows 11 build 25236 for devices enrolled in the Dev Channel of the Windows Insider Program. This is a small update with improvements for existing features, bug fixes, and several known issues.
Build 25236 for Windows 11, according to the company, brings changes to make it easier for users to use Search. This flight adds several changes to the Settings app, including tweaks for the Power & Battery page, Kiosk settings, and color filters in the Accessibility settings.
Windows 11 build 25236 changes
As part of the general changes, Microsoft is now experimenting with new ways to show tips in the Taskbar to make it easier for users to use the Search feature with shortcuts.
Here are all the fixes for the Taskbar, Settings, Input, and more.
- Fixed the issue causing natural voices such as Microsoft David or Mark to not speak in Narrator.
Taskbar & System Tray
- Fixed an issue where if you opened the hidden icons flyout, it caused a File Explorer entry for it to appear in the taskbar.
- Fixed an issue that was causing the taskbar previews to freeze or show as blank and not open when using Windows key + (#) key commands to try and switch between windows.
- The show hidden icons flyout in the system tray should now responsively resize with changes again to prevent empty spaces and columns.
- Fixed multiple issues related to the taskbar which were impacting explorer.exe reliability.
- Fixed an issue that was causing the volume icon in the system tray to incorrectly show as muted.
- Fixed a GDI handle leak related to updating the notification center icon in the taskbar, which would eventually lead to an explorer.exe crash for people who received a large number of notifications.
- Narrator will now announce the pinned and unpinned status of apps in the taskbar.
- Fixed an issue which was making File Explorer crash when closing tabs for some people.
- Fixed issue which could cause errant divider lines in File Explorer’s navigation pane.
- Added change to hide the battery graph on the Power & Battery page if a UPS is connected, as the capacity information it displayed in that case wasn’t correct.
- If you don’t have a kiosk set up, we’ve now updated the text on Accounts > Other Users > Kiosk to make it clearer you need to do that, so it doesn’t appear to be a dead end.
- Fixed an issue where if you went into the properties for an audio device, this could make it unexpectedly show in the output devices list on System > Sound although it was actually an input device.
- In the accessibility settings for color filters, the inverted option should work correctly again now and not just set your PC to grayscale colors.
- Fixed an issue causing some Insiders to see a bugcheck with error SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED in recent builds.
This release also has known issues with the Taskbar, Start menu, System Tray, and input.
In addition, along with Windows 11 build 25236, the software giant is releasing an updated version of the Microsoft Store app with changes to make it easier to discover that your device came with digital attach offers (Office, Game Pass, or standalone games) and redeem it.
Also, the Windows team optimized the layout and rendering architecture for search card results to provide a much smoother scrolling and resizing experience.
Install build 25236
If you want to download and install the Windows 11 build 25236, enroll your device in the Dev Channel using the “Windows Insider Program” settings from the “Windows Update” section.
Once you enroll the computer in the program, you can download build 25236 from the “Windows Update” settings by clicking the Check for Updates button. However, you will need a device that meets the minimum system requirements to receive the update if you are new to the Windows Insider Program.
Update November 4, 2022: Microsoft is now rolling out build 25236.1010 as update KB5021116. However, the update does not include anything new, this is only another test for the update mechanism service.