- Windows 11 build 25252 releases in the Dev Channel.
- The update introduces a new VPN status indicator and new search designs.
- The flight also fixes a bunch of problems and reveals many issues.
Microsoft is now rolling out Windows 11 build 25252 for devices enrolled in the Dev Channel of the Windows Insider Program. This is a minor update with several visual changes and various fixes.
Build 25252 for Windows 11, according to the official changes, brings a few updates to the Taskbar, including a new VPN status indicator for the network and a new design for the search box. This flight also pushes a slew of fixes for the Taskbar, Start menu, and more.
Windows 11 build 25252 changes
Here are the new features and improvements available with the latest build of Windows 11 in the Dev Channel:
VPN status indicator
As previously discovered, the System Tray in the Taskbar now shows a VPN status shield icon that responds to the system accent color over the network icon to indicate the device is connected to a remote network using a recognized VPN profile.
Search box style
Microsoft continues experimenting with different looks for the search box in the Taskbar, and the latest design brings a larger square design instead of the previous small oval box design.
The company says that Insiders that receive this design can change the design from the “Taskbar Items” settings on the Taskbar page.
Fixes available with this release
Windows 11 build 25252 also delivers a bunch of fixes for the Taskbar and Start menu.
- Fixed an explorer.exe crash when using Alt+F4 with the show hidden icons flyout in the system tray open.
- Fixed multiple explorer.exe crashes impacting system tray performance.
- Updated the battery icon’s tooltip to let you know if your device is charging slowly.
- Made a small refinement for tablet-optimized taskbar users to make it easier to expand the taskbar without invoking the Start menu.
- Fixed an issue that could lead to the taskbar jump lists and preview thumbnails not appearing in the correct position for Insiders with 2 in 1 PCs.
- Fixed an issue causing folders in the Start menu to not open on the first try.
- Fixed an issue causing some Insiders to see a bugcheck with the error SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION after upgrading to the previous flight.
- Fixed an issue causing certain apps (including Media Player) to crash when playing media in the background on recent flights.
- Fixed an issue that could lead your PC to sleep, although it was configured not to sleep.
- Fixed an issue where network-to-local copying (for example, copying a file from a network share) was slower than expected from some users.
This release also has known issues with the Taskbar, Start menu, Task Manager, Widgets, and more.
Install build 25252
If you want to download and install the Windows 11 build 25252, enroll your device in the Dev Channel using the “Windows Insider Program” settings from the “Windows Update” section.
Once you enroll the computer in the program, you can download build 25252 from the “Windows Update” settings by clicking the Check for Updates button. However, you will need a device that meets the minimum system requirements to receive the update if you are new to the Windows Insider Program.
Update December 1, 2022: Microsoft is now rolling out build 25252.1010 as update KB5021855. However, the update does not include anything new, this is only another test for the update mechanism service.