- Windows 11 build 25967 arrives for testers in the Canary Channel.
- This flight rolls out updated Settings and Quick Settings flyout with visual changes.
- Microsoft is also fixing various problems with File Explorer.
UPDATED 10/10/2023: Windows 11 build 25967 is now available for computers connected in the Canary Channel of the Windows Insider Program with some additional fixes, changes, and improvements.
Build 25967 for Windows 11, according to the official changes, brings the new homepage design to the Settings app already available on version 22H2 after installing the Copilot update (KB5030310). In addition, there’s a new “System Components” page that includes the different applications and components that Microsoft describes as essentials for the operating of Windows 11 and cannot be removed. Also, on the “Gaming” page, the “Xbox Game Bar” settings are now called “Game Bar” settings.
Also, this flight finally removes the Cortana app from the system, and the Quick Settings flyout includes a new experimental scrollable view similar to the experience available in the pins sections of the Start menu.
Windows 11 build 25967 changes
As part of the Settings app experience, Microsoft is introducing a new “Home” page with interactive cards representing various device and account-related settings grouped by commonly accessed functions.
The page can show up to seven cards, including:
- Recommended settings: Adapts to your specific usage patterns, providing timely and relevant settings options.
- Cloud storage: Offers an overview of your cloud storage use and lets you know when you’re nearing capacity.
- Account recovery: Provides recommendations for your Microsoft account security with options to add additional recovery info.
- Personalization: Surfaces customization with one-click access to update your background theme or change color mode.
- Microsoft 365: Provides a quick glimpse of your subscription status and benefits and the ability to take key actions.
- Xbox: Offers a view of your subscription status and options to manage the subscription.
- Bluetooth Devices: Simplifies your Bluetooth device management experience.
In the “Quick Settings” flyout, Microsoft is trying a new scrollable view similar to the experience available in the pins sections of the Start menu and removes the option to edit the action buttons. The interface will still allow users to rearrange the buttons.
In the “System” section of the Settings app, you will now find a new “System Components” page that includes the different applications and components that are essential for the operating system and cannot be uninstalled. Also, on the “Gaming” page, the “Xbox Game Bar” settings are now called “Game Bar” settings.
Microsoft also notes that build 25967 ships with the September 2023 update for the Windows Subsystem for Linux that introduces several new features, including networking and system improvements.
Furthermore, in this release, Windows 11 includes several fixes to address the white flash when opening File Explorer in dark mode, crashes with the explorer.exe process, sorting changes that wouldn’t persist after relaunching the app, performance problems, and more.
As part of the known issues, the company notes the Start menu or Settings app may stop working after rolling back to a previous version, the print queue may no longer be accessible, and some games may not work on build 25967.
To download and install the Windows 11 build 25967, you must enroll your device in the Canary Channel through the “Windows Insider Program” settings from the “Update & Security” section. Once you enroll the computer in the program, you can download the build from the “Windows Update” settings by clicking the “Check for Updates” button.
Update October 10, 2023: Microsoft is pushing the cumulative update KB5032106 (build 25967.1010). However, this update does not include anything new and is designed to test the servicing pipeline.