Today Microsoft made available for download Office 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1) at the same time of the worldwide launch of Office 365. Office 2010 SP1 brings updates to improve performance, stability and security, plus previously released updates are also included as well as updates for SharePoint 2010. The update is also available in all the languages that Microsoft Office 2010 supports.
There are two ways you can update: First is to manually download from the Microsoft Download Center the standalone installer and install it yourself, or the second way is to make sure that your Windows update is turned on and wait until Microsoft pushes the update to Automatic updates within the next 90 days.
Let’s list the important fixes that this Service Pack 1 of Office 2010 includes:
- Microsoft Excel 2010 SP1: Better performance, stability and bug fixes that brings backward compatibility with earlier versions that were affecting many users. And functions names now can keep the backward compatibility with earlier version of Excel in many languages.
- Microsoft Word 2010 SP1: Fixes many issues when saving files, working with Excel, and more.
- Microsoft Outlook 2010 SP1: Fixes an issue where Snooze Time would not reset between appointments.
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 SP1: Default behavior Use Presenter view option is changed and now displays slide show on the secondary monitor, while keeping notes in the primary.
- Microsoft Access 2010 SP1: Now integrates community content in the Application Parts gallery.
- Word Web Application: Now extends the printing support to Edit Mode.
- Outlook Web Application: Attachment Preview, but only with Exchange Online.
- Excel Web Application: Support for inserting Charts into Excel Workbooks.
- Office Web Applications: Brings support to Google Chrome.
- Proofing Tools to improve spelling suggestions in the following languages: Canadian English, French, Swedish, and European Portuguese.
- Visio: Fixes scaling issues and arrowhead rendering errors with SVG export.
- PPSX file support in Search Server.
- Internet Explorer 9 has now Native support for Office Web Applications and SharePoint.
- Project Professional: Now is capable of synchronizing scheduled tasks with SharePoint task lists.
- Project Server and SharePoint Server: They now have better alignment browser support.
- SharePoint: Better support for backup and restore functionality.
To read more about descriptions of Office 2010 SP1 visit this Microsoft Support page.
Office 2010 is one the most rapidly adopted piece of software, Microsoft has said that there were more than 6 million copies sold since its first release back in June 2010, making Office 2010 the fastest selling version of Office in history. In total there are about 1 billion computers with Microsoft Office installed, and don’t forget about Office Web Application with over 50 million users worldwide. Office 2010 is the first release that brings 32-bit and 64-bit versions bundled in the same DVD across all its 7 flavors, which also offers a free version of Word and Excel (Office Starter) that contains reduced functionality and is ad driven.