- Windows 11 build 22000.1761 rolls out as the preview update KB5023774.
- This non-security includes fixes and improvements that will release during the next Patch Tuesday.
- The update was previously available as build 22000.1757 through the Release Preview Channel.
On Windows 11, Microsoft is making available the update KB5023774 in the stable channel as an optional update for the original version (21H2). This is a non-security update part of the next cumulative update rollout, and it only includes bug fixes, improvements, and new features.
The update KB5023774 bumps the version number to build 22000.1761, and according to the announcement (Release Preview Channel), this release addresses problems with Command Prompt, Notepad, Windows Search, and Office apps. Also, the update rolls out fixes for various features, such as Microsoft HTML Application Host (HTA), compatibility and USB issues that affect some printers, new Windows Runtime (WinRT) API, and more.
Update KB5023774 fixes and changes for Windows 11
These are the fixes and new features available with the latest update preview of Windows 11:
- Addressed an issue that affects the command line. It fails when you set the system locale to Japanese and cmd.exe is configured in legacy mode.
- Addressed an issue that affects the Notepad box in Settings. It fails to show all the available options.
- Addressed an issue that affects Microsoft PowerPoint. It stops responding. This occurs when you use accessibility tools.
- The update addresses an issue that affects the Remote Procedure Call Service (rpcss.exe). The issue might cause a race condition between the Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) and the Microsoft Remote Procedure Call (RPC) endpoint mapper.
- This update affects the ms-appinstaller URI. It now works with the DesktopAppInstaller policy.
- Addressed an issue that affects Microsoft PowerPoint. It stops responding on the Azure Virtual Desktop. This occurs while you are using Think-Cell Features.
- Addressed an issue that affects Windows Search. Windows Search fails inside of Windows container images.
- Addressed an issue that affects the Microsoft HTML Application Host (HTA). This issue blocks code execution that uses Microsoft HTA. This occurs when you turn on Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) User Mode Code Integrity (UMCI) enforced mode.
- Addressed an issue that affects Desired State Configuration. It loses its previously configured options. This occurs if metaconfig.mof is missing.
- Addressed compatibility issues that affect some printers. These printers use Windows Graphical Device Interface (GDI) printer drivers. These drivers do not completely adhere to GDI specifications.
- Addressed an issue that affects the Simple Certificate Enrollment Protocol (SCEP) certificate. The system reports some SCEP certificate installations as failed. Instead, the system should report them as pending.
- Addressed an issue that affects the new Windows Runtime (WinRT) API. This issue stops an application from querying for location information using MBIM2.0+.
- Addressed an issue that affects USB printers. The system classifies them as multimedia devices even though they are not.
- Addressed an issue that affects the Fast Identity Online 2.0 (FIDO2) PIN credential icon. It does not appear on the credentials screen of an external monitor. This occurs when that monitor is attached to a closed laptop.
- This update affects the “Set a default associations configuration file” Group Policy Object (GPO). You can now use it to create an extension to specific applications.
- Addressed an issue that affects the SharedPC account manager. It cannot delete multiple accounts during cleanup.
- Addressed an issue that affects Xbox subscribers. If you purchase an Xbox subscription using the “Redeem code” option, the Xbox subscription card does not appear on the Settings Accounts page. This occurs when recurring billing is off.
- Addressed an issue that might affect lsass.exe. It might stop responding. This occurs when it sends a Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) query to a domain controller that has a very large LDAP filter.
Install Windows 11 build 22000.1761
If you want to download and install the Windows 11 build 22000.1761, open the “Windows Update” settings and click the “Check for Updates” button. However, you must have a device enrolled in the Release Preview Channel before the update becomes available.
Update March 28, 2023: This guide was updated to reflect the update for version 21H2 is now available through the stable channel.