- Windows 11 receives build 22631.2792 and 22621.2792 (KB5032288) in the Release Preview Channel.
- This update introduces the first draft of new privacy settings to comply with the Digital Markets Act in the EU.
- Microsoft is also rolling out new changes for Copilot and Spotlight.
- In addition, this update brings a slew of fixes and improvements.
- This update was previously available in the Release Preview Channel as build 22631.2787.
UPDATED 12/4/2023: Microsoft is now making available the update KB5032288 for Windows 11 23H2 and version 22H2 on devices enrolled in the Stable Channel as an optional install starting December 4, 2023, with significant changes for users in the European Union, a slew of fixes and improvements.
The update KB5032288 bumps the version number to build 22631.2792 for version 23H2 and 22621.2792 for version 22H2 and, according to the official changes (Release Preview Channel announcement), starts previewing changes to comply with the Digital Markets Act in the European Economic Area. The new changes include allowing users to uninstall almost all the default apps (including Microsoft Edge), choose between providers, remove Bing Search from the Windows Search experience, disable news and ads from the Widgets boards, respect the user default settings, and much more.
The update also previews the ability to display Copilot on the display you invoked the chatbot AI on a multi-monitor setup. It brings Copilot to the “Alt + Tab” interface as another app, and now you can ask Copilot for help ten times in a local account without being signed in. After that, you must sign in with a Microsoft or Azure AD account to continue using the chatbot.
Finally, Microsoft is making changes, allowing the Spotlight feature to be set as the default background. This will happen if the desktop wallpaper is set to the default image or using a solid color.
Windows 11 build 22631.2792 and 22621.2792 fixes
This rollout also brings a bunch of fixes and improvements with build 22631.2792 and 22621.2792, including:
- Update affects the shortcut (context) menu. Its performance is better when you open it on the desktop and in File Explorer.
- Addresses an issue that affects .RAR files. They display as if they are empty in File Explorer.
- Addresses an issue that affects apps that you download from Microsoft store. They stop responding and will not update.
- Update affects the Netherlands time zone. It adds the recent man-made landmass outside of Rotterdam to the shape files.
- Addresses an issue that affects the Trusted Sites Zone logon policy. You cannot manage it using mobile device management (MDM).
- Addresses an issue that affects IE mode. A webpage stops working as expected when there is an open modal dialog.
- Addresses an issue that causes IE mode to stop responding. This occurs if you press the left arrow key when an empty text box has the focus and caret (cursor) browsing is on.
- Addresses app cursor issues. The cursor changes from a hand to a cursor when it should not, or the cursor disappears. These issues occur when apps use the WebView2Standalone XAML control..
- Addresses an issue that causes IE mode to stop responding. This occurs when you have multiple IE mode tabs open.
- Addresses an issue that affects remote direct memory access (RDMA) performance counters. They did not return networking data on VMs in the right way.
- Addresses an issue that affects 32-bit GDI based applications. They stop responding. This occurs when they run on 64-bit Windows OSs that use more than 2GB of memory.
- This update affects Dynamic Lighting. It reduces the amount of power it uses on your device.
Addresses an issue that might affect the cursor when you write in Japanese. The cursor might move to an unexpected place.
- Addresses an issue that might affect Microsoft OneNote. When you use a pen right-click to open it, that might fail.
- Addresses an issue that affects the cursor. Its movement lags in some screen capture scenarios.
- Addresses an issue that affects the Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) decoder. It does not work well on some websites that set the wrong input sampling rate.
- Addresses an issue that affects hardware that uses the PresentAt feature. Power use grows when you play a video in full screen.
- This update affects feature management. You can now prefetch velocity configs for more than one OS version. Doing that will not harm other versions. After you upgrade and your machine restarts, only the correct velocity config for the current OS version is applied.
- Addresses an issue that affects the Systems Settings application. It stops responding after you turn off Device Encryption.
- This update affects Microsoft Defender for Endpoint (MDE). It enables Conditional Access (CA) scenarios.
- Addresses an issue that stops you from reconnecting to an existing cloud session. Instead, you get a new one.
- This update improves how fast Copilot in Windows opens from the taskbar.
- Addresses a leak in volatile notifications. This might stop you from signing in to your machine.
- Addresses an issue that affects File Explorer. When you press Shift + F10, the shortcut (context) menu does not open.
- Addresses an issue that affects File Explorer windows. When you do not expect them, they appear in the foreground.
- Addresses an issue that affects the Widgets notification badge. It is in the wrong position on the taskbar.
- Addresses an issue that affects the Copilot in Windows icon on the taskbar. It does not show as active when Copilot in Windows is open.
- Addresses an issue that affects Windows LAPS. Its PasswordExpirationProtectionEnabled policy fails to turn on the setting.
- Addresses an issue that affects Windows Sandbox. If the locale of your machine is not US English, File Explorer stops responding.
Install update KB5032288
You can download KB5032288 from the “Windows Update” settings by clicking the “Check for Updates” button and restarting your computer.
Update December 4, 2023: The content has been updated to reflect that the update is now in the Stable Channel as an optional update. These changes are expected to arrive with the December Patch Tuesday Update.