As part of the Patch Tuesday for May 2016, Microsoft is rolling out a new cumulative update for PC and Mobile version of Windows 10 for non-insiders, bringing the operating system to build 10586.318.
As every Patch Tuesday the software giant releases every month, this new update only brings bug fixes and improvements, and there are not new features.
Here’s what you’ll find new with the update.
May 2016, Patch Tuesday for Windows 10 for PC (build 10586.318)
- Reliability improvements on Cortana, Bluetooth, Shell, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Miracast, and USB.
- Fixed issue where user accounts weren’t locked out after a number of failed login attempts.
- Fixed memory leak that occurs when opening a PDF file form multiple times.
- Fixed issue that sometimes corrupts CompactFlash cards inserted into a card reader.
- Fixed issue that affected Bluetooth function when a computer resumes from sleep.
- Fixed issue with daylight saving time.
- Fixed issues with text alignment for right to left languages in Microsoft Edge and IE 11.
- Fixed security issues with kernel mode drivers, remote procedure calls, the Microsoft Graphics Component, IE 11, Microsoft Edge, Windows Shell, Windows Journal, Virtual Secure Mode, Microsoft Secure Channel, and Jscript.
May 2016, Patch Tuesday for Windows 10 Mobile (build 10586.318)
- Reliability, performance and stability improvements.
- Improvements to the update system to prevent phones getting errors 0x800f081f or 0x80070570.
- Improvements to the reliability of USB-C connections.
- Improvements to Cortana, such as fix for problem where music playback would not resume after dismissing an incoming text, and a problem with Quiet Hours not setting automatic rules for every day.
- Improvements for reliability of internet connection sharing (ICS) and tethering.
- Fixed problem that could result in battery drain while the phone screen is turned off.
- Fixed problem that caused some phones to finish the initial setup wizard with an incomplete set of app tiles on the Start screen.
- Fixed problem that could result in the phone to hang or restart when visiting certain web pages in Microsoft Edge.
- Fixed problem that caused recorded video to be lost when answering an incoming call on some phones.
- Fixed problem that caused the navigation bar to overlap and hide part of the screen for some apps on certain phones.
The cumulative update KB3156421 part of the May 2016 Patch Tuesday are available immediately for non-insider PCs and Windows 10 Mobile phones. The updates bumping the operating system to build 10586.318 will download and install automatically, but you can always go to Settings > Update & security> Windows Update and manually force the download.
Alongside the cumulative update, Microsoft is also releasing new firmware updates for its Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 that improves Windows Hello with updated camera drivers.