On November 18th, Microsoft drops build 10586 for Windows 10 Mobile through the Fast ring. The new update finally aligns with the official release of Windows 10 for PC and New Xbox One Experience also running Windows 10 build 10586.
According to the company Windows 10 Mobile build 10586 “has a lots of good fixes and general improvements”, and it should be a much better preview than build 10581. However, the software giant notes that it has discovered a bug inside of build 10581 that “partially” corrupts the operating system after doing a factory reset. As such, for those who upgraded to build 10581 and did a factory reset will come across a bug upgrading to build 10586 that will cause your phone get into a “reboot loop” to the Windows or operator logo.
Microsoft recommends that if you’re affected by the bug, you try to recover using the hardware key combination to rest the phone, which will put the phone into the Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE). As with any other pre-release version of Windows, users are recommended to make a backup before upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile build 10586, and if something goes wrong to roll back to the previous version of the operating system.
The new preview for phones also includes a number of fixes to improve the Start screen experience, moving apps to a SD card, and more. Continue reading to learn more about what’s new in Windows 10 Mobile build 10586.
What’s new in Windows 10 Mobile build 10586
- Microsoft has fixed the issue that caused the Start experience to become corrupted (garbled) after upgrading and restoring a backup from a phone that had a different resolution.
- You should now be able to set your default save locations via Settings > System > Storage and it will correctly reflect the current storage settings. Your SD card should no longer show up as a garbled name in Storage settings either.
- Moving apps to a SD card should no longer cause those apps to crash.
- Microsoft has made improvements to the Messaging + Skype app.
- Users should be seeing less resuming/loading text when switching apps.
- The physical camera button should be working again if it wasn’t working for you before.
- Apps and games should download from the Store more reliably.
Hopefully, the new preview for mobile devices will soon get more stable to be available in the Slow ring of updates and subsequently the company may release this build 10586 as final build to the public.