- ChatGPT comes with older versions of Windows with JavaGPT.
- JaveGPT supports Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10, and 11.
- The app is built on Java 8 and supports GPT-4 and 3.
JavaGPT, an open-source project from GitHub, brings ChatGPT to older versions of Windows, including 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, and 8, and of course, to newer versions, such as Windows 11 and 10. Although the chatbot from OpenAI is virtually available on every platform, you still need a modern web browser or client application to access the chatbot. However, the new “JavaGPT” app brings support to older versions back to Windows 98.
The third-party ChatGPT app has been created using version 8 of Java. Using an older version of the platform is what makes the chatbot client compatible with older releases of the operating system. However, the support ends on Windows 98 because Windows 95 cannot use this version of Java.
JavaGPT is a simple graphical application that gives you access to ChatGPT AI. The interface features a prompt box to compose and submit your questions, a chat stream that shows answers being generated in real-time, and you can view a history of the conversation with the chatbot.
The app also supports various features, including:
- Revert Chats to void previous prompts and responses from chat.
- HTML Viewer lets you view your chat content in HTML with support for Markdown Language syntax.
- Chat Titles autogenerate a title for a chat based on its context.
- You can import pre-defined prompts.
- You can save chats to a file.
- You can use it in dark mode.
- It supports right-click copy-edit-pasts.
- It’s cross-platform
- The app only 6Mb build size.
Although it’s unlikely that many people will be interacting with ChatGPT through Windows 98, ME, or 2000, it’s interesting to see how the chatbot interface can be adapted in so many ways.
According to the developer (via Windows Central), the JavaGPT app supports OpenAI GPT-4 and the GPT-3 Turbo language models. You can change the ChatGPT models from the application’s settings.