- Windows 10 update KB5001391 is now ready for download as an optional install for versions 20H2 and 2004.
- The update brings the “news and interests” taskbar widget.
- It fixes blank tiles in Start and a new setting for Windows Mixed Reality.
- Since update KB5001391 is in preview, it doesn’t include security fixes.
As part of the “D” release, Microsoft has made available the update KB5001391 for Windows 10 20H2 and version 2004 as an optional install. The update is a non-security patch that includes several fixes, enhancements, and new features expected to ship with the next monthly update.
The update KB5001391 bumps the version number to build 19041.964 and 19042.964 for versions 2004 and 20H2. According to the Microsoft documentation, it introduces the “news and interests” taskbar widget to get quick access to news, weather, sports, finance, and other trending information throughout the day. It fixes blank tiles from appearing in the Start menu, and it adds an option to adjust the idle time before a headset goes to sleep in the Settings app for Windows Mixed Reality.
Windows 10 update KB5001391 list of improvements
f you are already running the Windows 10 October 2020 Update or May 2020 Update, this update will address these problems:
- Addresses an issue that prevents a site from transitioning out of Microsoft Edge IE Mode when expected.
- Fixes a problem that fails to remove mandatory profiles completely when you sign out when using the “Delete cached copies of roaming profiles” Group Policy.
- Addresses an issue that causes blank tiles to appear on the Start menu with names such as “ms-resource:AppName” or “ms-resource:appDisplayName”.
- Fixes a problem with the Microsoft Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) that prevents an app’s custom candidate window from displaying correctly.
- Addresses an issue that occurs when you install inventory applications.
- Fixes a problem that includes kernel-mode rules for .NET applications in Windows Defender Application Control policies. As a result, the generated policies are significantly larger than necessary.
- Addresses an issue that causes devices to fail Device Health Attestation.
- Fixes a problem that turns off S Mode when you enable System Guard Secure Launch on a system running Windows 10 in S Mode.
- Addresses an issue that causes lsass.exe memory usage to grow until the system becomes unusable.
- Fixes a problem with a race condition between Task Scheduler and the Workstation Service.
- Addresses an issue that causes Azure Active Directory authentication to fail after signing in on Windows Virtual Desktop machines.
- Fixes a problem that causes AAD Work Accounts to unexpectedly disappear from certain apps such as Microsoft Teams or Microsoft Office.
- Addresses an issue that accidentally triggers hybrid AAD joining when the Group Policy “Register domain-joined computers as devices” is set to DISABLED.
- Fixes a problem with a partial Service Connection Point (SCP) configuration that causes dsregcmd.exe to stop working.
- Adds the ability to adjust the amount of idle time before a headset goes to sleep in the Settings app for Windows Mixed Reality.
- Addresses an issue that might generate a stop error when Docker containers run with process isolation.
- Fixes a problem that causes automatic enrollment and certificate retrieval to fail with the error, “The parameter is incorrect.”
- Addresses an issue that might cause Microsoft Defender Application Guard virtual machines to stop responding when Microsoft Defender Application Guard for Office opens a document.
- Fixes a problem that prevents some media players from playing content on hybrid devices that are running with dGPU on iGPU displays.
- Addresses an issue with race conditions that cause high CPU usage. As a result, the system stops working and deadlocks occur.
- Fixes a problem with a deadlock in the New Technology File System (NTFS).
- Addresses an issue that causes DWM.exe to stop working in some cases.
- Improves the Windows Server Storage Migration Service by adding support for migration from NetApp FAS arrays to Windows Servers and clusters and resolving multiple issues and improving reliability.
- Fixes a problem that might prevent an application screen from working when using a Remote Desktop ActiveX control that is embedded in an HTML page.
Download Windows 10 build 19041.964 and 19042.964
The preview is available immediately, and you can download it from Settings > Update & security > Windows Update and clicking the Check for updates button. Then under the “Optional quality update available” section, click the Download and install option.