Microsoft is now releasing Windows 10 build 18990 for devices enrolled in the Fast ring of the Windows Insider Program. This is the preview number 31 rolling out as part of the 20H1 development (codenamed Vibranium), and it’s a minor update with some new improvements.
Windows 10 build 18990, according to the company, when you enable the option to restart apps on reboot from the Sign-in settings, the system will now also restart the majority of the Microsoft Store apps.
In addition, this flight includes several smaller tweaks, including an update to make the default width of the search box in File Explorer to be a little bigger.
As part of the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) improvements, build 18990 improves performance for listing directory in
\\wsl$, and you’ll find a number of other fixes and enhancements.
If you use the Xbox Game Bar, the app now displays an FPS counter and achievement overlay. (Just set focus to your favorite game and press WIN + G to get started.)
The Magnifier makes the “Read from here” feature easier to understand, and there are improvements on legibility when reading highlighting rectangle.
Windows 10 also improves reading while in Lens mode, and the text cursor shapes more legible and aesthetic.
As part of the Narrator experience, Microsoft is shipping these improvements:
- The automatic dialog reading experience has been improved.
- Table navigation hotkeys are now allowed when entering a list view to allow one to navigate across columns.
- The Page Summary dialog by allowing tab and shift-tab to loop around the dialog controls has been improved.
- The experience will no longer announce notifications from non-focused Chrome webpages.
- The feature now announces the current value of the “thumb” in legacy color picker controls.
- Narrator is now presenting links and play buttons correctly in iTunes.
- Windows 10 improves the reading experience in Chrome and Firefox.
- Certain pages could cause Narrator to loop back up to previous content.
- Narrator is now updating an attached braille display correctly when some XAML controls are expanded.
- The design of the icon glyph was large and blurry has been adjusted.
Microsoft is listing the complete set of improvements, fixes, and known issues for Windows 10 Insider Preview build 18990 at the Windows Blog.
Download Windows 10 build 18990
Although there are no ISO files for Windows 10 build 18990, the update is available immediately through the Fast ring. This preview build will download and install automatically on your device, but you can always force the update from Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and clicking the Check for updates button.
You can also check out these resources: