- Windows 10 21H1, 20H2, and 2004 get update KB5003690.
- The update is only available in the Beta Channel and Release Preview Channel.
- It fixes blurry text with news and interests, problems with gaming, wireless, BitLocker, and more.
- (Update) Starting on June 21, the update is also available in the stable channel for version 2004 and higher releases.
Microsoft is now testing the update KB5003690 for Windows 10 21H1. The update is available in the Beta Channel and Release Preview Channel, and it includes a bunch of non-security fixes and improvements that the company plans to roll out in the next maintenance update of the operating system.
KB5003690 bumps the version number to build 19043.1081, and according to the company’s announcement, it addresses a blurry text problem with the news and interests feature. It also fixes issues with apps, language, gaming performance, PowerShell, BitLocker going into recovery mode after updating the TPM firmware, problems authenticating with a PIN and fingerprint, wireless connectivity, and more.
Starting on June 21, the cumulative update is also available in the stable channel as an optional update for versions 21H1, 20H2, and 2004 with the same changes and improvements bumping the version number to build 19043.1081, 19042.1081, and 19041.1081.
What’s new with update KB5003690 for Windows 10 21H1
Here’s a complete list of everything included with the latest update for Windows 10:
- Added support for the USB Test and Measurement Class.
- Fixed an issue that causes blurry text on the news and interests button on the Windows taskbar for some display configurations.
- Addressed a problem that causes communication between apps to stop working after enabling the “AppMgmt_COM_SearchForCLSID” policy.
- Fixed a performance issue in the MultiByteToWideChar() function when used in a non-English locale.
- Fixed an issue that prevents sorting from working properly using multiple versions of National Language Support (NLS) sorting.
- Addressed a problem in a small subset of users with lower than expected performance in games after installing KB5000842 or later.
- Fixed an issue that causes the Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) to stop working while typing suddenly.
- Addressed a problem that causes WMIMigrationPlugin.dll to return an error when you attempt to migrate in offline mode.
- Fixed an issue with the Set-RuleOption PowerShell command that fails to provide the option for the Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) policy to treat files signed with an expired certificate as unsigned.
- Addressed a problem that causes Windows to stop working when it uses AppLocker to validate a multiple signatures file. The error is 0x3B.
- Fixed an issue that might cause BitLocker to go into recovery mode after updating the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) firmware. This occurs when the “Interactive logon: Machine account lockout Threshold” policy is set and incorrect password attempts.
- Addressed a problem that causes Windows to generate many AppLocker or SmartLocker success events.
- Fixed an issue with authenticating for a domain controller when Credential Guard and Remote Credential Guard are enabled.
- Addressed a problem that prevents certain screen reader apps from running when Hypervisor-protected code integrity (HVCI) is enabled.
- Fixed an issue in which signing in using a PIN fails. The error message is, “Something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again.”
- We added Windows support for System Management Mode protections (firmware protection version 2.0) for certain processors that support Secure Launch.
- Addressed a problem that, in certain cases, takes you out of the exclusive virtual reality (VR) app and back to Windows Mixed Reality Home when you press the Windows button on the controller. With this update, when you press the Windows button, the Windows Start menu appears. When you close the Start menu, you will go back to the exclusive VR app.
- We improved the accuracy and efficiency of sensitive data analysis in the Microsoft 365 Endpoint data loss prevention (DLP) Classification Engine.
- Fixed an issue with the Internet Key Exchange (IKE) VPN service on remote access server (RAS) servers. Periodically, users cannot connect a VPN to the server over the IKE protocol. This issue might start several hours or days after restarting the server or restarting the IKEEXT service. Some users can connect while many others cannot connect because the service is in DoS Protection mode, limiting incoming connection attempts.
- Addressed a problem that causes Wi-Fi connections to fail because of an invalid Message Integrity Check (MIC) on a four-way handshake if Management Frame Protection (MFP) is enabled.
- Fixed an issue that might cause a VPN to fail after renewing a user’s auto-enrolled certificate. The error message is “There are no more files.”
- Addressed a problem with the Tunnel Extensible Authentication Protocol (TEAP) that replaces the outer identity with “anonymous” even though identity privacy is not selected or is disabled.
- Fixed an issue that causes Remote Desktop sessions to stop responding while the User Datagram Protocol (UDP) is enabled.
- Addressed a problem in Adamsync.exe that affects the syncing of large Active Directory subtrees.
- Fixed an error that occurs when the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) bind cache is full and the LDAP client library receives a referral.
- Fixed a redirector stop error caused by a race condition that occurs when the system deletes binding objects when connections close.
- Fixed an issue that prevents users from setting or querying disk quotas on the C drive.
- Addressed a problem that causes 16-bit apps that run on NT Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM) to stop working when you open them.
- Fixed an issue that causes fontdrvhost.exe to stop working when Compact Font Format version 2 (CFF2) fonts are installed.
- Addressed a problem that might prevent End User Defined Characters (EUDC) from printing correctly because of font fallback settings.
- Fixed an issue with Search box graphics on the Windows taskbar that occurs if you use the taskbar’s context menu to turn off News and interests. This graphics issue is obvious when using dark mode.
- Addressed a problem that might cause signing in with your fingerprint to fail after the system starts up or resumes from sleep.
- Addressed a problem that might redirect you to the Microsoft Store page for Gaming Services when you try to install or start an Xbox Game Pass game on your Windows 10 device. Additionally, you receive error 0x80073D26 or 0x8007139F.
Download June 2021 update for Windows 10
These updates are available immediately, and they will download and install automatically. However, you can always force the update from Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and clicking the Check for updates button.
Update June 22, 2021: Microsoft is making available the update KB5003690 as a preview for Windows 10 version 2004 and higher releases.