- Microsoft begins previewing Windows 10 update KB5006738.
- The update is an optional non-security update that fixes various problems, including printer install using IPP.
- These fixes are expected to arrive for every supported device in the next cumulative update.
As part of the “C” release schedule, Microsoft is making available the update KB5006738 for Windows 10 21H1, 20H2, and 2004. The update is in preview as an optional install through Windows Update, and it’s a non-security update with several fixes and improvements.
Windows 10 update KB5006738 bumps the version number to build 19043.1320 for 21H2, and according to the official notes, fixes the Lock screen problem that was causing it to show a blank screen. It addresses a problem that prevents the Kana input mode from inserting a question mark using the keyboard shortcut and subtitles for certain media apps.
In addition, the October 2021 update fixes problems with VPN connections, BitLocker recovery, memory leak with Code Integrity, and it addresses an issue that might prevent the successful installation of printers using the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP).
Update KB5006738 fixes and changes
These are the most important improvements with the latest update preview of Windows 10:
- Adds a feature that facilitates certain cross-browser data transfers.
- Fixes a problem that prevents you from accessing the pre-provisioning page during the out-of-box experience (OOBE). This issue occurs when the credentials page for signing in to Azure Active Directory appears, and you press the Windows key five times.
- Addresses a known issue that might prevent the successful installation of printers using the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP).
- Addresses an issue with Assigned Access kiosks that are configured with Microsoft Edge as a kiosk application. These kiosks might sometimes fail to restart Microsoft Edge if users close the browser window.
- Fixes a problem in which the use of App-V intermittently causes black screens to appear when signing in on the credentials page.
- Addresses an issue that might prevent subtitles from displaying for certain video apps and streaming video sites.
- Fixes a problem that prevents Windows 10 virtual private network (VPN) users from connecting to Windows Server 2019 Routing and Remote Access service (RRAS) servers.
- Addresses an issue that prevents Software-Defined Networking (SDN) virtual machines from working when you configure the Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) VPN bandwidth limitation.
- Addresses a Primary Refresh Token (PRT) update issue that occurs when VPN users sign in using Windows Hello for Business when the VPN connection is offline. Users receive unexpected authentication prompts for online resources that are configured for user sign-in frequency (SIF) in Azure Active Directory-Conditional Access.
- Fixes a problem that causes Windows to go into BitLocker recovery after a servicing update.
- Addresses an issue that might cause Kerberos.dll to stop working within the Local Security Authority Subsystem Service (LSASS). This occurs when LSASS processes simultaneous Service for User (S4U) user-to-user (U2U) requests for the same client user.
- Fixes a problem in Code Integrity that might cause a memory leak.
- Enhances Microsoft Defender for Endpoint’s ability to identify and intercept ransomware and advanced attacks.
- Addresses an issue in the OOBE that might cause Windows AutoPilot provisioning to fail.
- Fixes a problem that prevents Kana input mode users from inserting a question mark (?) using the Shift-0 key combination.
- Addresses an issue that sometimes causes the lock screen to appear black if you set up a slideshow.
- Addresses a reliability issue with LogonUI.exe, which affects the rendering of the network status text on the credentials screen.
- Fixes a problem that causes Server Message Block (SMB) Query Directory Requests to fail when the buffer size is large.
- Addresses a memory leak issue in lsass.exe on domain controllers in the forest root domain that occurs when you have multiple forests and multiple domains in each forest. The SID-Name mapping functions leak memory when a request comes from another domain in the forest and crosses forest boundaries.
- Fixes a problem with the virtual machine (VM) Load Balancing feature, which ignores a site’s fault domain.
Download October 2021 update for Windows 10
These updates are available immediately, and they will download and install automatically. However, you can always force the update from Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, click the Check for updates button, and use the option to install the optional update.