- Microsoft hints that Windows 11 22H2 will get a “moment” update in March 2023.
- The update will include Taskbar optimized for tablets, visual changes for System Tray and Search, and more.
- Also, the company announced that users can now opt out of Beta Channel gracefully.
- The update is available for seekers starting February 28, and everyone will get it on March 14.
UPDATED 2/28/2023: As the official preview of the “moment 2” update rolls out in the Release Preview Channel, Microsoft hints that the second feature drop for Windows 11 22H2 will release on March 14, 2023.
These are new types of updates that enable the company to push new features and improvements as soon as they are ready outside the yearly major releases (feature updates). You can think of it as “feature drop” updates for mobile devices.
The first “moment” update became available in October 2022 with features like tabs for File Explorer and Suggested Actions. In the second “moment,” you can expect a redesigned Taskbar optimized for tablets and other visual changes for Taskbar and the Start menu. The Settings app will include various improvements, and this update will include updated versions of the Task Manager and Notepad apps, and a lot more.
Windows 11 22H2 March update new features
Here’s a list of the new features and changes for the March 2023 update for Windows 11 22H2:
- Taskbar – Updated interface for tablets that will automatically transition to tablet mode when disconnecting or folding the keyboard on a convertible device.
- System Tray – Updated interface with a modern design for the flyout interface, and hovering over visible icons will show an updated tooltip.
- Search – Updated search box design and new settings for the Taskbar experience.
- Power settings – Add new “Energy Recommendations” with suggestions to configure features to save energy and lower your carbon footprint.
- About settings – New “Trade-in or recycle your PC” option with information on how to get rid of the device safely with links to pages to help you back up your data, remove your data, and more.
- File Explorer – Full search results page will update live without pressing the Enter key.
- Quick Settings – The flyout will now include quick access to the Windows Studio effects for devices with support for Neural Processing Unit (NPU).
- Windows Update – Commercial customers can configure the system to enable or disable feature drops outside of the annual feature update through the Windows Update for Business or on-premises with Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
In addition, the update will include improvements for Voice Access, Braille, and Windows Narrator, and it will ship with a bunch of fixes.
The second feature drop update for Windows 11 22h2 will (presumably) release on March 14, 2023, as part of the Patch Tuesday update. The new changes will ship through Windows Update and others through the Microsoft Store during the company’s monthly update schedules.
If you have a device in the Beta Channel, you can also opt out of the Windows Insider Program without reinstalling it.
Update February 28, 2023: Microsoft officially announced the availability of the update starting February 28, but it’ll start rolling out automatically to compatible devices on March 14, 2023.