As part of the release “C,” Microsoft is making available the update KB5005611 for Windows 10 21H1, 20H2, and 2004 as an optional install in the stable channel. This is a non-security update meant to address a slew of problems with the last three most recent releases of the OS.
The update bumps the version number to builds 19041.1266, 19042.1266, and 19043.1266, depending on the version, and it introduces fixes for “news and interests,” Cortana, restart, apps, and more.
Previously, this update was only available in the Release Preview Channel for version 21H1.
Update KB5005611 fixes and changes
These are the most important improvements with the latest update preview of Windows 10:
- Updates an issue that causes the system clock to be wrong by one hour after a daylight-saving time (DST) change.
- Updates an issue that causes applications, such as Microsoft Outlook, to suddenly stop working during normal use.
- Updates an issue with the Microsoft Outlook Add-in that prevents you from typing a reply.
- Updates an issue that causes blurry “News and interests” icons when you use certain screen resolutions.
- Updates an issue that causes News and interests to appear when you right-click the taskbar even if you have turned off that feature on your device.
- Updates an issue that might cause distortion in the sound that Cortana and other voice assistants record.
- Updates an issue that causes your device to stop working after you restart it.
- Updates an issue that prevents you from providing input to apps when the taskbar is not at the bottom of the screen.
Updates for older versions of Windows 10
In addition, on September 21, the company also made available the update KB5005624 (preview) for Windows 10 version 1909 to fix several problems, including issues with system time showing the wrong daylight-saving time, as well as problems resizing images, “news and interests,” apps problems, and more.
As part of the version 1809 (October 2018 Update) release, the update KB5005625 became available on September 21 to address similar problems as those for version 1909. However, this update bumps the version number to 17763.2210. The update is also available as a preview and as an optional install.
Download September 2021 update for Windows 10
These updates are available immediately, and they will download and install automatically. However, you can always force the update from Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and clicking the Check for updates button.