Windows 10 Mobile build 14356 for phones is rolling out to Insiders through the Fast ring. While Microsoft supposed to release previews of Windows 10 Mobile alongside the PC version, the company missed the deadline for phones with the release of build 14352 for PC, but today Microsoft is catching up by making available build 14356 for mobile devices.
The new test version of the operating system for mobile doesn’t include new significant features, but it further improves Cortana enabling users to finally get phone notifications on their PC.
Notifications include, SMS text or social media messages, and missed calls notifications from Windows 10 Mobile or Android phones.
Microsoft says that Android users require the latest version of Cortana, which you can download from the Play Store (download here for U.S. and download here for China). In addition, the company note that Cortana notifications is a work in progress and not every action works correctly.
Thanks to Cortana you can now even send photos from your phone to your PC. The next time you’re seeing a photo on your phone, you can simply say “Hey Cortana: Send this photo to my PC”. Keep in mind that this feature is currently available for Windows 10 phones only.
As I have already noted on the hands-on video for Windows 10 build 14352, Cortana for phones is also getting a new listening animation. Now you’ll see a sound wave animation when Cortana tries to decode what you’re saying.
What’s fixed on Windows 10 Mobile build 14356
Along with the new improvements with the digital assistant, Microsoft is also bringing a slew of fixes for Windows 10 Mobile build 14356, including:
- Improvements on battery life.
- Storage optimization taking pictures.
- Fixes around Glance screen, Alarms & Clock, Groove Music, Settings, and Cortana apps.
- Fixed issues with the keyboard and emoji.
- Fixes around Quick Actions in the Settings app.
- Fixed issue trying to connect the phone to a PC.
- Mobile Hotspot settings have also been improved to give you a clearer error message when failing to setup the feature.
- Data usage for Wi-Fi activity will show faster.
- Improved Bluetooth above the Lock screen.
- Fixed issues with some games designed for Windows Phone 8.1 that may not scale correctly.
These are just the most important fixes. You can view the full list of fixes using the source link below.
Known issues for Windows 10 Mobile build 14356
The latest test version of Windows 10 for phones also includes a number of known issues users should be aware of before installing the new version.
- While Microsoft is bringing battery life improvements, there is still some issues that could drain battery.
- Dual-SIM devices may not work correctly with a second SIM.
- Cortana’s new features may not work correctly.
- Quick Actions buttons may not retain their order after the upgrade.
Windows 10 Mobile build 14356 is available immediately through the Fast ring. The update will install automatically, but you can always force the install by going to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update and tapping the Check for updates button.